Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Books: The small things which sometimes strike deep.

I love reading books. Most of them convey some message.

Have you ever come across an experience such as this: you read a full book, which is good and enriching in totality, but somehow at some point you were suddenly struck with one sentence or idea, and at the end, this one thing is what you remember most vividly out of the entire book, even though in the larger context of the book, this might have been insignificant?

That is, the book conveyed a lot of enriching things, or was really a good work throughout, but for no apparent reason this one single thing strikes some inner chord of yours, and even when the other matters of the book goes into the backdrop of your memory, you can somehow reflect this one thing with extreme vividness.

This happens for me sometimes. Probably happens for everyone. In the 'The Glass Palace' which I read lately, the last description of the two old people kissing each other is something which I'll never forget. But this anyways was meant to be striking for the readers, and was one of the most 'peak' moments of the book and nothing surprising that it will strike.

But in another book - 'The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari', I was struck with this comment made somewhere about reading good books - "it is not what you get out of books that is so enriching, it is what books will get out of you that will ultimately change your life. ...books don't teach you anything new.....books simply help you to see what is already within your self". At this moment, it is only this thing which I remember clearly out of the entire book. And I don't think I'll forget. Although the book conveyed many other valuable and enriching things, I don't remember any of those in any detail.

Another time when I was reading 'The Diary of Anna Frank', I came across texts conveying this (I don't remember the exact words immediately, so I'm rephrasing, but it used very similar words) - no matter what happens, as long as you can look fearlessly up into the sky, you will know that you have true happiness within, and this will keep you replenished and going through all situations, every time you will need it. I will always remember this, alongwith how I felt when I read it.

Suddenly very small things somehow open up in front of us new dimensions from which to look at things. And these discoveries and the joy of it, we never forget.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more on this! I write down all those parts which I love. Sometimes it's not what the author is saying, but the beauty of the prose, the pretty picrure s/he paints, the hilarity, the pain... sometimes it's as if the author is speaking what you have felt ... and yet couldn't express.

    ReplyDelete