Thursday, June 12, 2008

"Intelligent" Authors?

There are some writings which when reading I feel that the author must have had a razor sharp insight and very developed analytical abilities, along with a courage born of common sense and their confidence arising out of the knowledge of their own rationality and clear thinking abilities.

I think the following authors will be among such an "intelligent" lot of authors. I find them intelligent based on some observations they made through their creations. And all of them have the ability to masterly write out their observations - all of them are master storytellers too.

1. Ayn Rand: Whether or not you agree with her philosophy - she is a master storyteller with very true and intelligent observations - and there is no denial of all that she defines as positive in her novels. All that is very true. Though I don't completely agree with her dealings/opinions of the "altruistic" second-rate citizens, she did dissect the general digressive mentality very acutely and correctly, and I find her portrayal of the positive values irrefutable and true to the very core.
2. Leo Tolstoy: He appears definitely intelligent the way he makes his observations or makes his characters act, or manipulates them. And he is really a master storyteller. But I do hate (or maybe admire) his attitude and guts - it looks like he thinks himself to be a God or something - from the way he plays around and manhandles his characters! Very proud he must have been!
3. Arundhati Roy: She came out with only one book - and that too someone else "found" and published the manuscript for her. And what a book it turned out to be! "The God of Small Things" is strewn with comments and observations that are extremely simple yet hits you directly. And you cannot refute their truth.
4. Anne Frank: Ok, she was too young, but what she wrote in her diary at the age of 13 contained some straight simple truths and observations which elders can easily miss. At rare places, her writings showed characteristics of being 'free from the known'. I cannot help wondering what she might have contributed to the literary world had she gone on to live a longer life.

I find the writings of the above authors filled with traces of an intelligent sharp and analytical mind at work - they use their analytical/discerning intellect to create much of the effects.

Authors like Maugham, Dickens, Tagore use more of their "feeling" instincts, insights and observations to decipher human nature and reach the human heart. They are proficient in use of perhaps their own empathy and sensitivity in their understanding of human nature to create their masterpieces. Among contemporaries, I feel Amitava Ghosh, Vikram Seth to be in this later league. And I'm actually looking forward to find out if I can place Rushdie among any of these two classes. But I haven't finished any of his stuff - I was only one-third through Midnight's Children when I lost connection with the book!

Before I end, let me mention as a disclaimer that these are very personal views on the matter, could even be a totally fanciful take on the subject, but somehow I do find this to be so at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment