Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Pune: The Next Chapter

Stationed from Pune, this will be my first post. Yes, I have finally got transferred to Pune - something which I had once very dearly wanted - at the time of induction in Wipro about a year back. But on which I was no longer so keen at the immediate moment. And actually, which I would have preferred to postpone for a month right now if I had the choice.

But I am here, and with that, the next chapter - or sub-chapter of my life begins in this new city.

The situation of transfer had come to me with a strange effect - with this opportunity, of something too welcoming some months back, suddenly dropping in front of me when I was no longer that keen on it. And yet - there was this something left from my earlier desires which was apparently still rendering this opportunity in a special light, making it look attractive. Anyways, the situation had required an immediate decision and I had decided to take the plunge. In the past, I have always had wanted to have an experience of Pune, and if it would come this way, so be it. The incentive of a change is always there - something which I really cherish.

Coming to my experience of this new city, I'm liking the environment here. The climate is pleasant - maybe just 2-3 degrees above Bangalore - but still pleasant. The landscape is often undulating - with some actual tiny hills present inside the city limits. In fact, the place where I am staying at Baner is just beside such a tiny hill. The scenery looks great. From my Wipro office at Hinjewadi also, one is greeted with a sight of hill ranges surrounding about half of the 360 degree view. From the 5th floor of my tower where I work, one can get a nice unobstructed view of the surroundings. I take occasional breaks walking out in the open terrace in my floor and refilling myself with a breath of the vastness and serenity.

There is something about the hills (or seas also) that attracts me so. The vastness, the challenge, the magnanimosity? The calmness, the serenity, the stillness, but filled with the potential of an unmatched force? The seemingly unexplored domains calling to be conquered? Vibes of a 'larger than life' feeling? Probably. But the bottom line is that I do enjoy this.

The only thing which is actually troubling me in Pune is the public transport from my place to office. The available modes of public transport from here are scarce and not that appealing. I'm planning to take a bike soon. Once you have a vehicle, travelling in Pune is a breeze - the roads are nice amidst abundance of vegetation on the sides.

Anyways, apart from the transport thing, it has been a good experience so far. I have put up in a good spacious 3BHK flat here having all facilities (including wifi broadband), shared with 5 other persons - a high spirited 'bindas' bunch. It is a nice and comfortable place with maids to take care of the household work and cooking. I'm looking forward to a comfortable stay here. And I have also been told that in the monsoons, places in Pune become all the more beautiful and enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to that.

I'm looking forward to find out what things Pune has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment